July 24, 2015

"Oh, Sweet Pea, come on and dance with me."

'Sweet Pea' image © W. Russell, patchworksquare.com
Sweet Pea
I was on a walk along the trail the other day with my friend Carol, and we were talking about the beautiful sweet pea flowers we were seeing all along the way. Here is a picture of some of the beauty we were seeing.

Then, for the rest of the day, I had a song running through my head (I think they call this an "ear worm") from way back in the day -- "Sweet Pea" by Tommy Roe. Since it would not go away, I thought maybe that was a sign to make a quilt block pattern for "Sweet Pea" to add to my Flower Quilt Blocks category.

Sweet Pea quilt block
After searching high and low, I could not find a picture of a quilt block with that name. I did however, find a picture of a quilt named 'Sweet Pea' so I went from there.

The quilt block looks kind of boring, but it has lots of possibilities when you put many of them into a quilt, especially if you make a lot of scrappy blocks -- (not being much of a gardener, I am assuming that Sweet Peas come in a variety of colours). Here are some sample quilts to give you some ideas.

'Sweet Pea' quilt images © W. Russell, patchworksquare.com
Sweet Pea sample quilts

Download the free Sweet Pea quilt block pattern.

Flower Quotes to brighten your day

  • "If the English language made any sense, "lackadaisical" would have something to do with the shortage of flowers."
    ~ Doug Larson

  • "Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts."
    ~ Sigmund Freud

  • and my favourite ...

  • "Earth laughs in flowers."
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


All images © W. Russell, patchworksquare.com

No comments:

Post a Comment