October 13, 2015

Geometry and Algebra and Quilts ... oh my!

Chevron Stripes quilt block c© W. Russell, patchworksquare.com
Chevron Stripes quilt block
I have always been one of those nerdy types who love math. So, drawing, scaling and making quilt blocks has never been a problem for me. Go figure  ... (okay that is my little stab at humour).

I am always more intrigued by patchwork blocks rather than applique blocks simply because I like all those shapes working together. (I must add though, that I really admire those quilters who have mastered applique, since it is such an art form in itself, and one I just don't have the patience to master.)

Chevron Stripes quilt
The Chevron Stripes quilt block is one of those interesting blocks that utilizes only one geometric shape -- the half square triangle. At first glance it looks rather boring -- but that is where the fun begins. By making a bunch of these blocks and then playing with rotations of the block, you can come up with all sorts of interesting quilts. I have shown you one here and a second in the quilt block pattern to get your imagination working.

And speaking of imagination ...

  • "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    ~ Thomas Edison

  • "Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    ~ Oscar Wilde

  • "When forced to work within a strict framework, the imagination is taxed to its utmost and will produce its richest ideas."
    T. S. Eliot


Images © W. Russell, patchworksquare.com

This website uses cookies. By using the services and products of this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment